Thursday, July 14, 2005

First Post

Well this is my first post on my new blogsite. I have just begun to Kayak so part of this adventure is going to be the learning how. Might be scary, huh?
Anyway, I am working on building up my strength and endurance a little at a time. I have been out on the Mobile Bay 3 times. I am putting my kayak in at Bailey Creek 2 miles south of The Grand Hotel in Point Clear, AL.
The first two times I went into the bay I paddled about a mile north and then back. (I know that sounds pretty lame...but I am trying to get into shape.)
Yesterday, however, was a trip!! I had my first alligator experience. It was a hoot. I am putting the kayak in about 200 yards up Bailey creek at my buddy Mike's house. I had started down the creek towards the opening to the bay. As I came around the next to the last curve in the creek I spotted about a four footer sunning himself on the bank. As I approached he went into the water and the his head surfaced. I stopped paddling and was drifting along just to see what he would do. He came within 2 feet of my kayak then went under. I started paddling towards the bay and then I felt him bump my kayak just under my butt twice. He surfaced on the other side and swam off. It was truly a rush!!!
I continued on and moved out into the bay. It was a beautiful morning and I paddled north almost to the Grand Hotel (about a mile and 1/2) then I turned around and headed back. It was a Great workout, the bay was beautiful, and the little gator was just the icing on the cake.
I didn't have a camera with me...but I'll be sure to have on next trip.
well, more to come. Have a great Day and remember,

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home