Saturday, July 16, 2005

July 15, 2005 Playing With Dolphins

My original plan for the day was to get up early and get out on the kayak. As my alarm went off...so did the thunder, so I just rolled over and went back to sleep with the rain pouring outside. when I woke up about 9 the sun was shining and I decided to get over to Baileys Creek and put the kayak in the water.


( heading to the Mobile Bay going down Baileys Creek)


I had a little camera with me so that if my alligator bud showed up I could get some pics.


( this is Scenic 98 at Bailey's Creek. The Gator I saw the other day was just beyond this bridge)

He wasn't anywhere to be found so I went on out into the bay.

My goal for the day was to reach The Grand Hotel at Point Clear point.


(the Grand Hotel is on the point on the right side of the pic)

As I reached Zundalls (about 1/2 way), I heard a loud "whoosh" sound of air right behind my left elbow in the water. It just about scared me to death!! I turned immediately to see what made the noise and I saw a large dolphin next to my boat going back down into the water. WOW!!! Then 5 other dolphins surfaced all around me and I started following them. As long as I was paddling they stayed right near my kayak, within 4 to 10 feet of the boat, but everytime I stopped to take a picture they moved about 20 yards away. Then I would start to paddle again ... and here they would come.

(one of the dolphins coming up for air about 25 yards in front of me)

We played like this for about 45 minutes,with not a sound around but the lapping of the water against the kayak, my paddle as it cut in and out of the bay, and the constant surfacing and blowing of the dolphins all around me.

after a bit, I realized that I was about a mile from shore and decided to head back in. As I turned back east towards the Eastern Shore, the dolphins continued on west in the direction of Dog River.

This was a day I will never forget.

Sorry the pics aren't real great. I'll have to get a better camera soon!

1 Comments:

Blogger Zollyanna said...

That is wonderful,nice pics!!

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home