Tuesday, August 23, 2005

8-18-05 Haze - Fog - And Birds

I decided to go out this morning between thunderstorms. It cleared up just a bit so I thought I would go out to the P. Grey Cane Jr. Artificial Reef. I left out of Bailey's Creek ( no Alligator...again...I did see him the other day but I didn't have my camera, so I didn't write about it...maybe next time). As I left the creek I was amazed at the number of Seagulls and Pelicans over the water.


It was high tide and the water was perfectly smooth with a slight haze. I noticed a fog rolling in from the west, but I set out towards the reef anyway which was one mile west of Bailey's Creek.
It was very eerie paddling along through the fog and haze with what seemed like a million sea birds all around. As I paddled I kept my eye on my compass and stayed in a westerly direction and I soon came up on the Reef.



I turned North and began the trek to Great Point Clear and the Grand Hotel. But as I came within a mile of the point I began to get concerned about the fog and finding my way back.
( I was worried I would find myself in the fog without the "foggiest" idea how to make it back to the creek. Clicking my heels together in my Kayak saying "...there's no place like home....." LOL )
So I turned back toward the shoreline and then South to Bailey's Creek and Blind Dog Mike's House. Before I turned back I did get a couple of good shots of pelicans flying in the fog.



I'll have to say that the haze and the fog made for some beautiful colors on the water, and the number of seabirds was spectacular. It was truly another great adventure.
Thanks for coming along. Hope you can make next time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Peggy said...

Nice blog! And any time you get to missing those gators too much, head east and come over my way....

6:09 AM  
Blogger Francis Ho said...

would love to come along ... ;o)

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home